Over the last year, our colleagues have shown their dedication to our business, going the extra mile to provide our customers with the products and services they needed to keep the UK moving. Have worked hard to prioritise the health, safety and wellbeing of all of our colleagues and have recognised their unwavering commitment with a number of support initiatives.
- We made sure we had robust COVID-19 protocols in place from the start of the first lockdown to keep our colleagues and customers safe, such as sufficient stocks of PPE, additional concierge staff, and adjustments to colleague rotas.
- We launched over £4m of initiatives to support our front-line colleagues, including a Frontline Colleague Support fund and Halfords Here to Help Fund.
- We developed and launched a 'Wellbeing Hub', where colleagues can go to receive support and advice on a range of issues. We have also signed up to the Mental Health at Work initiative, demonstrating the importance of mental wellbeing and doing everything we can to support our colleagues through such a challenging period.
Colleague engagement is vital to our success as a business. As such, it is a measure in our Executive bonus scheme and we set targets for improved engagement right across the organisation. Each year we conduct a colleague engagement survey, administered by a third party and providing actionable, anonymised reports at a team level. This year's survey, conducted in April 2021, had a response rate of 94% and an engagement index score of 75%, strong numbers that demonstrate high levels of colleague engagement despite the impact of COVID-19 and retail organisational design changes. In response to the survey results, every team produces an engagement plan for the year ahead, which rolls up into department and Group plans. Once again our Retail business was placed in the 'Best 25 Big Companies to Work For' category in The Sunday Times Best Big Companies survey, for the seventh year running – an achievement we are very proud of.
We remain committed to providing best-in-class training to our colleagues. This includes field-based training, such as electric servicing, all the way to online training courses via our intranet to upskill colleagues who wish to progress their career. Over the last year we have delivered a change in our in-store operating model, designed to ensure we have significantly more services-trained colleagues across the retail estate, providing a foundation for electric servicing, as well as product-fitting, WeChecks and Cycle care.
- Halfords Values delivered virtually to c.2,700 leaders across the business, who cascaded to all colleagues across the Group.
- Over 2,500 colleagues completed training courses, from PDI to 'Silver Service' to WeFit services such as Dashcams fitting.
- 77 colleagues completed an Apprenticeship – 39 with a distinction.
- 79 colleagues achieved the IMI's DVSA MOT tester accreditation.
- 43 colleagues achieved IMI Level 3 accreditation, with a further 10 gaining IMI's Hybrid Electric Vehicle accreditation, which was lower than previous years due to limited training resource as a result of COVID-19 and the need to prioritise MOT tester training.